Catch up on the industry news and opinion you may have missed this week.
- As of this week, Penguin books will no longer be made available to libraries for lending in ebook form.
- Industry favorite prognosticator, Michael Shatzkin predicts (in Konrathesque fashion) that 80% of book transactions will be handled online within 5 years.
The New World of Publishing
- An informal, unscientific survey of readers concerning self-publishing author marketing techniques reveals some common themes in reader acceptance.
- F. Paul Wilson (writing as Repairman Jack) continues his series on digital publishing. This time: piracy.
- And continuing the digital piracy theme, two publishing associations (AAP, IPA) managed to get some rogue sites shut down.
- More stores join Barnes & Noble in refusing to stock books published by Amazon.